Haun Home

Haun Home

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mother of the year award...revoked.

Remember that birthday money Gracie got when she turned 8? We decided to spend some of it.  To start the story, I should tell you that I have been more than insistent that we not have any more pets (we have a bad track record around here). For some reason, one night I gave in and compromised. After all, how bad can a goldfish be?  And look at that face!  SO excited.  


Not sure if you can tell but there are actually 3 fish in that bag.  Maddie and Aeva thought they should have a fish too for Gracie's birthday.  Heck, what's an additional $3?  Three it is.


We got them home.  Made their bowl pretty.  Fed them.  Named them.  Talked to them until they asked us to stop.  Then we went to bed (only after convincing the girls that the goldfish could indeed be left in the dark).


24 hours later...all 3 fish were dead.  How is that possible?  Like I said, not the best track record in the Haun house when it comes to pets.  Those 3 fish were the most loved ever for that very short time.  My 3 little girls were heart broken and my "best gift" ever was a flop (literally).  I returned the bowl...and the unopened food.  I hope I have learned my lesson.  My children will be eternally traumatized.

1 comment:

Diane said...

You are still a teriffic Mom! But I had to smile. At the county fair when my kids were little, They tossed ping-pong balls into fish bowls to "win" goldfish. We brought them home, borroqwed a fish bowl from my Mom, and did the best we could for them. The silly things lived for the next 11 years! No matter what we did to them. Clean water, dirty water, overfed, underfed. So it was traumatic when they started to die off (of old age, presumably) When there was only one left, Valerie bought him a friend, and they were both dead within a couple of days. No more fish since then.