I am proud to say that several years ago I learned that I LOVE asparagus. I had not had this as a child and would have refused to eat it had my parents made it. So, while Troy and I were on a trip to Chicago we went to a restaurant and I ordered a wonderful little steak. When it arrived, I looked down and saw a bunch of tiny, green trees had landed on my plate. I was a little upset at first because they had already made contact with my juicy steak. There had been possible cross-contamination and there was nothing I could do about it. Had it just been Troy and I, I probably would have carefully moved them to the side of my plate, cut off the contaminated piece of meat, changed forks, and moved on. However, we were with another couple that were very "mature" about eating and I couldn't embarrass myself with this kind of food segregation.
I worked around the other side of my steak but the time eventually came when all I had left to eat were the tiny trees. I had watched the others eat them with little problem. No one was pulling faces, gagging, spitting them out, etc. I decided I had better go for it. I added a little salt for good measure and took a bite.
Absolutely amazing! I loved those little things. I ate ALL of them. I was sad when they were gone. I wanted more! Was it proper to beg for more vegetables when I had obviously eaten 4 rolls, a 30 oz steak, several tiny red potatos with green things on top, and 4 glasses of water? I decided against but made a mental note to have Troy tell me what those little things were so I could buy them when we got home.
Now, I realize that this story makes me fairly pathetic. I admit it, I grew up on meat, potatos, corn, and green beans. I had parents that tried for several years to feed me other good things but to no avail. I am stubborn since birth. I am hoping to make amends with myself (and my parents) by feeding nasty things to my children. So far, they are eating them by force. The older ones pretend to be cooperating. No such luck with Aeva and Gracie. Good thing I am stubborn.
I worked around the other side of my steak but the time eventually came when all I had left to eat were the tiny trees. I had watched the others eat them with little problem. No one was pulling faces, gagging, spitting them out, etc. I decided I had better go for it. I added a little salt for good measure and took a bite.
Absolutely amazing! I loved those little things. I ate ALL of them. I was sad when they were gone. I wanted more! Was it proper to beg for more vegetables when I had obviously eaten 4 rolls, a 30 oz steak, several tiny red potatos with green things on top, and 4 glasses of water? I decided against but made a mental note to have Troy tell me what those little things were so I could buy them when we got home.
Now, I realize that this story makes me fairly pathetic. I admit it, I grew up on meat, potatos, corn, and green beans. I had parents that tried for several years to feed me other good things but to no avail. I am stubborn since birth. I am hoping to make amends with myself (and my parents) by feeding nasty things to my children. So far, they are eating them by force. The older ones pretend to be cooperating. No such luck with Aeva and Gracie. Good thing I am stubborn.
2 comments:
I have the best aparagus recipe from Jamie....I will send it your way!
Asparagus is delightful! I love it!! My mom forced me to eat all kinds of crazy things. But the worst of all was Brussels sprouts. Dad and i would sit at our respective ends of the table and leave them for last. We only had to eat one, but seriously, it was a race to the swallow. WE hated them. I still do. YUCK-O!
But asparagus, now that is a treat! Particularly yummy with cheese sauce on top. mmmm.
I'm glad you finally met this vegetable. :) And I'm SUPER glad you ate it!
Post a Comment