Haun Home

Haun Home

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rascal the Rabid Racoon or Nature Betrayed Me

This is Rascal.... Innocent looking don't you think.... Rascal is one of Maddie's Stuffed animals. Rascal happens to be rabies free.


Well, one of the things that I like to do as I drive back and forth to places, especially work, is listen to podcasts in my car. There are a couple favorites that I like. I like listening to a couple sports talk podcasts (The Thundering Herd and Pardon The Interuption) and a show on National Public Radio called "This American Life". For those of you who have not heard about this show or podcast, they usually take three or four interesting stories (most of them true) or speeches, comedy bits, etc. There is usually a theme for the show.

Last Fall I was taking the girls to a family dinner over the pass. The kids were in the back playing and yelling. You know, all the basic "games".... Pretend I am Sharpay and you are Troy Bolton... (For you that don't know, this is a High School Musical game. For those of you who don't know what High School Musical is I can't help you.... Sidenote: Gracie always ends up being the boy (ie Troy Bolton) in all these games)... As the kids were playing, I was listening to the Halloween edition of "This American Life"....

The true story that I got to listen to was about a racoon. It is very funny, scary and packed full of information regarding what you should know about rabies.... It is a "what would I do in this situation type story"

The clip is about 15 minutes long (so make sure you have enough time to listen)....

The link is right here ...The Racoon Story.... Listen from 6:00 minutes to 19:30 minutes....

Anyway, heard the story and had to tell someone about it... Specifically regarding how they had to use a tire iron and how it was much harder to do than they first imagined....

As I started to tell my wife about this crazy story....Maddie burst in "stop talking about the racoon. I do not want to hear the story again. I have Rascal. He is a racoon and I hate that story." I had no idea that Maddie had heard any of the story let alone internalized it....Yike.... In honor of Maddie's wishes we do not speak of the rabid racoon or the accompanying tire iron.... Long live Rascal....

This goes to show you that kids hear and see more than we think that they do and yes, sometimes Nature does betray you.

5 comments:

K.Booth said...

Someday ask Chad how many adult men it takes to kill a baby racoon........yes you read it right I said BABY!!! Go team racoon!!!

Kati said...

I think it is funny how upset they get when the subject of the rabid racoon or any racoon for that matter comes up! Crazy story, that's for sure!!

Diane said...

Kids are so "sponge-like." I've noticed with Chrystie's little girl, Arden. She'll be "reading" me a story, and she will incorporate pieces of what is being said all around her without even missing a beat or knowing where she got the words from. They hear EVERYTHING!

By the way, I saw your map at the bottom of the page. Shouldn't Lori Haun come up as Missouri instead of Salt Lake??

K.Booth said...

Hey troy thanks for the CD of Rock out music!!! I listened to it as i cleaned up and ate cookies!!! I laughed when I read what was written on the CD. I am blogging about it tomorrow and doing a music review of the "Troy Haun" motivator CD!! Thanks!!! Any time you want me to make you a CD of the carpenters let me know!!
Thanks!Thanks!!!

kimM said...

Why is it that I find it comforting that other people's kids fight over who gets to be Troy and who gets to be Sharpay? This is an issue for our girls as well. Although, they like to say, "I will be ALL the girls, and you be ALL the boys." (and of course nobody wants to be ALL the boys)