Haun Home

Haun Home

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Spring Break 2015

We LOVE Spring Break! This year we headed to Oceanside, CA for some fun and sun!  Oceanside is a good 11 hour drive from our house so we decided to make a few stops along the way.

Day 1:  Beaver, Utah.  Not sure how this became a "stopping spot" in all of our commutes South but it has.  In fact, this chair is now one of my favorites.  I was excited to show it to the girls.


Gracie felt the strong need to try on a beaver hat as well.  Cutest beaver I have ever seen.


Day 2:  The next morning we headed to Leeds for one of our favorite hikes.  We knew we would be getting wet this time and planned a little better.  




If you can't tell from Gracie's face...this water is less than warm.




The hike continues up into a kind of slot canyon and the water gets deeper.



It was a beautiful Spring day and the butterflies were out and about.


As were the desert flowers.


Even Ms. Aeva went for a swim.  


Next stop was Las Vegas but we couldn't pass up a quick stop in Mesquite to see our Grandma Hazel.  Love her.


My favorite place in Vegas...the Belagio fountains.  


Aeva's face when the fountains first went off.


We walked far enough that Aeva decided she needed a ride.  Thanks, daddy.




Second favorite place...the Belagio chocolate fountains.  Aeva was impressed.



Day 3:  We stayed the night before at the Venetian and had to make a few wishes before we left.


Finally, we made it to Oceanside.  This little harbor was just a short walk away and had some amazing pizza.


Day 4:  Our first morning in Oceanside.  We surprised the girls with SURF LESSONS!  


Maddie and Aeva were beyond excited.
Gracie...well, we will call her nervous.  She gets that from her dad.  BUT, once she got in the wet suit and her feet hit the waves, she was converted.









This is what you look like after a day in the sun...no amount of sunscreen can fight off 15 hours of ocean and sun.  I tried...believe me.  It's a good thing that Otter Pops can fix anything!


Day 5:  USS Midway and Old Town. 
 This is an old naval ship that has now been turned into a museum.  


We took the audio tour.  Yep, we are nerds.  Cute nerds.



Perhaps one of my favorite pics of all time.  My little air traffic controllers.  One of them is a bit of a ham.  Any idea which one?
  

By the time we were done, we were starving.  We headed to Old Town for some yummy Mexican food.


Day 6:  San Diego Zoo.  I will admit that I am not a huge fan of zoos but this one is great.  Makes me never want to go to any other zoo ever again.  These animals have it made.












Once again we were starving by the time we were done.  Troy's friend recommended that we try Islands Restaurant.  Yummy hamburgers!


Much to Troy's dismay, I had heard about a huge Farmer's Market just a short walk from our condo.  I love to walk around and see all of the different tents.  We had to make at least one purchase while we were there...yep, shaved ice.  Too bad we were stuffed from our hamburgers...all of the food looked amazing.


Day 7:  Beach day!  One more round of surf lessons for the girls.  Troy even joined in for this one.  I remained the designated family photographer...dry, warm and happy!




How cool is this sand?  I might have a new hobby...sand photos.  



After our lessons, we headed back to the condo.  The grounds were incredible.  Makes me think I need a personal gardener.



We decided to spend the afternoon boogie boarding but couldn't pass up another shaved ice shack that Troy found on his morning run.  This is my true weakness.  One day I will own an ice shack.  Good dream, right?





The only sunset pictures I managed to get our entire trip.  Beautiful.


Day 8:  The drive home.  My least favorite part but these girls make it fun.


A little chocolate also helps.


Happy Spring Break 2015!



No comments: